Hello and thanks for tuning into the Top Left Corner! This episode was brought to you in part by Shakespeare & Company, celebrating their 45th Season.
Misty Blues Single Release:
The Hate (feat. Kat Riggins & Justin Johnson)
“The Hate” was written in response to a comment left on Misty Blues’ “Freight Car” YouTube music video on 12/26/21. As the African American lead singer/founder of Misty Blues, Gina Coleman, I’m unfortunately no stranger to hate speech. This incident was especially egregious for me because I’d never previously experienced such hatred directed at my music. We find it important to shed light on this incident to demonstrate how divisive some people continue to be. This song also serves as a vehicle for non-marginalized groups to be aware of the pervasiveness of these types of encounters.
North Adams Public Library urges families to sign up for its 2022 Summer Reading Program with the theme Read Beyond the Beaten Path.
North Adams Public Library launches its 2022 Summer Reading Program on June 27th. During the following month, the library will host a range of free activities for children, teens, and adults to encourage and support a love of reading. Participants can win prizes for reading. “We’ve planned a great program for folks to see the library as a place to read, have fun, and learn about their community and world,” said Nora Zahn, Youth Services Librarian. “The Read Off The Beaten Path theme evokes summer camp and the outdoors, so we’ve planned a wide range of events with an emphasis on nature and spending time outside.”
There’s also a serious side to summer reading. Research has shown that reading over the summer prevents learning loss while kids are out of school. “Students read more when they can choose materials based on their own interests,” Zahn added. “Our library is committed to supporting lifelong learning for North Adams families.” To learn more about the summer reading adventure at North Adams Public Library or to sign up, please call 413-662-3133 or visit the library’s website.
The following is a full list of events for the 2022 Summer Reading Program. Events are offered courtesy of the Friends of the North Adams Public Library, Cultural Council of Northern Berkshire, and Massachusetts Cultural Council. All events are free to attend. All events are drop-in unless otherwise noted.
- Story in Action – interactive storytelling for all ages with Allison Lerman-Gluck of Allie Tells Stories. Monday, June 27th at 6pm on the library’s front lawn.
- Author Maureen Callahan Smith – new book, Grace Street: A Sister’s Memoir of Grief & Gratitude. For adults. Wednesday, June 29th at 6pm at the library.
- Stomp Rockets with the Berkshire STEM Network for families with kids of all ages. Thursday, July 7th at 10:30am at Colegrove Park. Rain date Monday, July 11th at 10:30am.
- Tarot Workshop with Rebecca Guanzon of Wild Soul River in Williamstown. Beginners welcome. Wednesday, July 13th at 6pm at the library.
- Tie Dye – for ages seven and up. Thursday, July 14th at 1pm on the library’s front lawn.
- Matt York Concert – New England singer/songwriter live on the library’s front lawn. Saturday, June 16th at 11am.
- Macramé and Terrariums – for teens and adults. Wednesday, July 20th at 5:30pm at the library. Advance sign-ups required; beginners welcome.
- Wildlife Balloon Animal Twisting – with Ed the Wizard. For ages seven and up. Friday, July 22nd at 10:30am on the library’s front lawn.
- Garden Stones Painting – for ages seven and up. Thursday, July 28th at 1pm.
- LibraryBEATS! Drum and Rhythm Circle – with Otha Day of Drum To The Beat. Friday, July 29th at 6pm on the library’s front lawn.
- Kids Garden Club – For ages seven and up. Mondays from 10:30-11:30am on the library’s front lawn from June 27th-August 8th, skipping July 4th.
- Toddler Time – For kids ages 1-3 and their caregivers. Tuesdays at 10:30am at the library. Ongoing.
- Teen Gardening – collaboration between NAPL and ROOTS Teen Center. Tuesdays from 3:30-5:30pm, at the library and/or ROOTS Teen Center. Now through late August.
- Story and Craft Time – with community partners and library staff. For kids ages 4 and up. Wednesdays at 10:30am from June 29th-July 27th.