Above: The Course of Empire — Destruction, by Thomas Cole; (American, Lancashire 1801–1848 Catskill, New York); 1836; Oil on canvas; 33 1/4 × 63 1/4 in.
Welcome to today’s show!
We talked about some stuff…
- LIGHT (OR NOT)
- Denmark launches a children’sshow about a man with a giant penis. Let the “Great Dane” jokes commence.
- Thanks to a provision tucked into the coronavirus relief bill signed by President Trump in December, the US military has 180 days todisclose all it knows about UFOs, or “unidentified aerial phenomenon,” which seems to be the new term of art among military and national security types.
- Produced by Jeff Jenkins (“Keeping Up with the Kardashians”), “Bling Empire” focuses on the real lives of ‘Crazy Rich Asians,’ a wildly wealthy group of Asian and Asian-American friends (and frenemies) living what appears to be fabulous lives in Los Angeles attending extravagant parties and going on expensive shopping sprees, but there is much more happening beneath the surface. It follows their journey living in America as they straddle the traditional Eastern culture that values keeping a “low profile,” with the Western culture that embraces the openness and transparency of the modern world. Revolved around Kelly and her friends, the unscripted series will bring the first-ever all-Asian American cast to reality audiences around the world.https://youtu.be/ilDYquHLJ_k LOCAL
- A police stop last week in North Adams last week caught our eye. From a write-up in the Berkshire Eagle, two men were arrested afterofficers found a gun and “several ounces” of marijuanain the vehicle they were driving. Hasn’t Massachusetts legalized marijuana? Well, yes, but the rules can be confusing. Here’sa quick rundown of the Massachusetts lawsgoverning marijuana.
- What are some alternative policing models, and how might such a model be implemented in Williamstown? Depending on how our police reform efforts unfold here, then it might look something likewhat the town of Amherst is contemplating.THE COMMONWEALTH
- Uber haslost an important casein the Mass Supreme Judicial Court. We’ll run through the facts and talk about the broader implications of the ruling.
- SPRINGFIELD, MA (WGGB/WSHM) — TheFBI is warning of plans for armed protests across the nationbeginning this week and leading up to the presidential inauguration.The FBI said armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitol buildings. Local state leaders said no violent protesters will be tolerated.The FBI released a statement, saying they are aware of plans for armed protests in all 50 state capitol sites on, before, or after the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden.Western Mass News reached out to the FBI Boston division. They said they are “not in possession of any intelligence indicating any planned, armed protests at the four state capitols in their area of responsibility (Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island) from January 17-20, 2021.”Massachusetts State Police said in part, “MSP are aware of many general statements that have been made online regarding potential protest activity, including one posting calling for ‘peaceful armed protest’ in all 50 state capitols that was the basis for an FBI bulletin. Today we are aware of no specific threat to government venues or to public safety generally in Massachusetts.“NATION
- Googleworkers are forming a union. Could this be a turning point in the long decline of the US labor movement?
- Our last show aired before the historic riots at the US Capitol. There’s a lot to talk about, so here are a few news items to get the discussion going:
- Many of the rioters were reportedly chanting “Hang Mike Pence!” as they stormed through the building. Here’swhat likely prompted that.
- It’s interesting how different the response from the Capitol Police iswhen the Black Lives Matter movement is doing the protesting.
- One of the best takeswe’ve read on the events of January 6.
- Some people believe that Donald Trump’s behavior since the election, particularly in the last couple weeks, warrants his removal from the presidency. Other’s want to allow him to finish out his term. Both sides have presented passionate arguments, and either choice would come with consequences that would ripple out into future administrations.What do you think? Should he stay these last few days? Should he be removed? https://www.greylockglass.com/the-burning-question/WHO WE’RE READING AND LISTENING TO THIS WEEK
- Cory Doctorow onsurveillance capitalism.
- Bad Faith podcast #35(also available on YouTube) with guest Thomas Frank is a must-listen. Frank, the author of “What’s the Matter with Kansas,” “Listen, Liberal,” and “The People? No!” talks with Briahna Joy Gray and Virgil Texas about the difference between Trump and Trumpism, why Democrats are no longer the party of the people, and what we can expect from the Biden administration.This
TLC Episode 96