The Great Jack o’Lantern Blaze
• In Croton-on-Hudson, a village in Westchester County
• September 18 – November 21
• Tickets must be purchased in advance online.
• Takes place at Van Cortlandt Manor, a 17th century house built by some of the area’s original Dutch settlers at the confluence of the Croton and Hudson rivers, an important stop on the old New York to Albany route following the Revolutionary War.
• This year they have a record 7,000 pumpkins carved by an army of volunteer artisans. Arranged in a variety of vignettes, including a creepy carousel with jack o’lantern “horses,” famous artists and their works, like Munch’s the Scream, rendered in carved pumpkins, and a graveyard full of jack o’lantern gravestones – with carved inscriptions! – plus scarecrows and other pumpkin pals. My fave: the trees have eyes.
• Lots of covid regulations in place—running at about 2/3 capacity, required use of masks, no eating or drinking allowed.
• Visit website for more information.
Robin Catalano believes in the power of storytelling to connect communities and cultures. She’s applied her creative approach to writing for magazines, books, blogs, websites, and a wide variety of marketing projects, and has published more than 75 articles and 1,000+ blog posts. As an editor, she has worked on more than 350 books for publishers including Penguin Random House, Workman, and Simon & Schuster. She has also served as a book coach for independent authors, helping them take their ideas from concept to print. An avid traveler and travel writer, Robin lives, reads, and writes voraciously in upstate NY.