The Great Jack o’Lantern Blaze
• In Croton-on-Hudson, a village in Westchester County
• September 18 – November 21
• Tickets must be purchased in advance online.
• Takes place at Van Cortlandt Manor, a 17th century house built by some of the area’s original Dutch settlers at the confluence of the Croton and Hudson rivers, an important stop on the old New York to Albany route following the Revolutionary War.
• This year they have a record 7,000 pumpkins carved by an army of volunteer artisans. Arranged in a variety of vignettes, including a creepy carousel with jack o’lantern “horses,” famous artists and their works, like Munch’s the Scream, rendered in carved pumpkins, and a graveyard full of jack o’lantern gravestones – with carved inscriptions! – plus scarecrows and other pumpkin pals. My fave: the trees have eyes.
• Lots of covid regulations in place—running at about 2/3 capacity, required use of masks, no eating or drinking allowed.
• Visit website for more information.